Located on the Bellarine Peninsula near Barwon Heads, 13th Beach Golf links boasts two championship courses and world class facilities.
The first of the two courses, The Beach course, was designed by Tony Cashmore and opened for play in December 2001.
In 2013 13th Beach became the venue for a revamped Victorian Open- a joint championship which crowns both the men's and women's champion at the same time at the same venue.
Although they are separate championships they have equal prize money.
The men's tournament is co sanctioned by both the European Tour and The PGA Tour of Australia.
The women's tournament is co sanctioned by the LPGA and ALPGA tours.
The Creek Course was designed by Sir Nick Faldo in conjunction with Tony Cashmore, and opened for play on January 1, 2004.
While the Beach course has a number of holes in the dunes by the beach, the Creek course travels more inland.
It has more of a sandbelt feel with the main features being the sculpted bunkers, contoured greens and rolling fairways.
With trees framing most holes, and routed a little inland of the Beach course, The Creek is a little protected from the sea breezes, and is a popular choice when the weather comes in..
Notable holes include:
- hole 5, a long strategic par 4 with a sunken green
- hole 6, a delightful par 3 with an elevated green (see pic top of page)
- hole 7, an interesting par 5 with options. But the key is the approach to a green sloping away from play (see pic mid page)
- hole 8, a mid length par 4 with water snaking in and out on the approach
- hole 10, a longer par 5 defined by impressive fairway and greenside bunkering
- hole 12, a short par 3 to a smallish green with water in play left
- hole 14, a teasing driveable short par 4 where a layup right is the sensible option for most
- hole 15, a longer par 3 over water to a large sloping green
In it's early days I thought the Creek course was 'The Ugly Sister", but over the years the course has matured nicely.
The members at 13th Beach love it, and visitors regard it as one of the best courses on The Bellarine Peninsula.
On windier days, The Creek offers just a little more protection than the Beach course, so it is a nice alternative to have.
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to suit your group.
For suggested destinations see The Bellarine Peninsula & The Great Ocean Road.
For further information on a tailored golf trip please enquire here: