The Lakes Entrance Golf Club was formed on April 25, 1927
The club members played on a number of different sites through until 1961 when play began on a 9 hole course that would become it's permanent home
The parcel of Crown land the club secured bordered Ninety Mile beach and contained tracts of rolling sandy terrain perfect for golf mixed with a series of lagoons.
Vern Morcom designed 18 holes for the site, but the club remained a 9 hole course until 1978 when the second nine opened for play
Golf Architect John Watson had assisted the club in bringing the second nine to fruition
In 1981 the club commissioned Ted & Geoff Parslow to draw up a Master plan for the course which remains in force today.
Continued improvement to the course itself and playing conditions is undertaken in keeping with the vision outlined in that master plan
The front nine is predominantly a links and holes three through seven run adjacent to the beach on the back of the primal dune.
Combined with challenging opening holes (1 & 2 ) on the tidal lagoons, and the front half is a cracking nine holes.
The back nine is a little quieter and moves between some typical Aussie bushlandand more tidal lagoons (holes 11 & 15).
Fifteen is an outstanding par three played from an elevated tee over a lagoon to a green with an ocean backdrop
It's a fantastic golf hole!
Notable holes include:
- hole 2, a strong par with a tee shot diagonally across a lake- how much to you take on?
- hole 3, a mid length well bunkered par 3 close to the beach
- hole 4, a long par 4 with a tee on the frontal dune close to the beach- the diagonal tee shot over the ti-tree needs to be long and accurate
- hole 6, a longer par 3 running parrallel to the beach to a green tucked tightly in the trees
- hole 7, a long par 4 with a fairway right beside the beach. The green sits in the trees and access gets tighter the closer you get!
- hole 11, a nice par 3 over a lake
- hole 15, a shorter par 3 from an elevated tee over water. With the ocean as a backdrop it looks amazing (see pic top of page).
Lakes Entrance is a quality golf course in a gorgeous setting.
It flies under the radar a little for such a good course.
Players move through a variety of terrains to complete the 18 holes
And Lakes Entrance can challenge all standards of golfer
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to suit your group.
For suggested destinations see: Golf Destinations- Australia
For further information on a tailored golf trip please enquire here: