Long Thanh GC is located just 30km north of Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam, and contains 2 courses- The Lake Course and The Hill Course.
Both were designed by Ronald Fream from Golfplan, and opened for play in 2001.
The Lake Course is the flatter of the two, and although it features many water hazards is considered the easier course of the two. The Hill course features rolling fairways framed by avenues of oil palms, and large undulating greens. It uses the significant elevation change and natural features of this part of the property to good effect, and is more challenging to play.
Notable holes include:
- the dramatic par 3 fourth hole which features alternate greens- the more impressive being the green set below the tee in a natural water filled crater. There is a castle like wall around the perimeter of the crater (apparently known as ‘The Great Wall of Long Thanh’), and with water lapping against the edge of the green below it is a memorable shot.
- the par 5 fifth hole is a lovely snaking par 5 that narrows as the hole progresses, with tropical vegetation and hazard tightening the landing area for the second shot
- the short dogleg par 4 sixth hole is a pretty hole with a water carry approach, and delightful wooden bridge completing the picture
- the par 5 seventh hole has a challenging tee shot over a gorge, and between trees, but it is the large tree centrally placed in the fairway that will really sort the men from the boys…
- the par 4 sixteenth hole is the hardest hole on the course, and requires a brave second shot over the edge of the gorge to find the green
- the longer par 3 seventeenth hole is framed by dense foliage all the way from tee to green and green surrounds, and feels quite intimidating- although it actually feels tighter than it plays…
Overall The Hill Course exceeded my expectations.
I came expecting a quality course, but did not expect such dramatic terrain.
Holes 4-12 all feature gorges, water hazards, tropical vegetation, palm trees and plenty of movement- and Fream has used it all to produce a world class course.
Even the quieter holes impressed with well designed green complexes and bunkering making appealing targets.
And the course has lights enabling night golf!
If you visit Ho Chi Minh City and head to Ho Tram to play The Bluffs, drop in for a game at Long Thanh.
- you will be pleased you did.
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to Vietnam to suit your group.
For itinerary suggestions please see Great Golf Destinations: Vietnam- Ho Chi Minh City & The South East
For further information please enquire here: