Mt Broughton Golf & Country Club was designed by Frank Phillips & Billy Dunk and opened for play in 1994
The course incorporates the main features of the site- being the the creek running through the heart of the property, majestic old trees, and acres of long pasture grass.
Each of these elements has been woven into the strategies of the holes. The third hole is perhaps the strongest example with a tee shot that must carry the long grass, and cross the creek at a diagonal between two trees
Mt Broughton is very much a rural site surrounded by farm land
For me, the train line running hard on the perimeter of the course added further entertainment- I loved the long freight trains which seemingly went on forever..
The course is well designed and a challenge for even the best of golfers
My only question mark would be whether the shallow bunkers throughout might not be practical given the natural terrain and perhaps some could be replaced with grassy hazards?
Notable holes include:
- hole 1, a dogleg par par with tee shot framed by some magnificent old oak trees
- hole 2, a dramatic long par 3 played from an elevated tee over two water hazards
- hole 3, a par 5 with an imposing tee shot over long rough, between trees, and diagonally over the creek. The long second shot must be well placed to allow an approach to a green protected by two enormous trees and water left- it's one tough golf hole!
- hole 4 is an impressive mid length par 3 requiring an intimidating carry over the long rough
- hole 9 is a tough par 5 which tightens as you get closer to the green. Withthe fairway bending around the creek on the approach this is a hole that requires both length and accuracy for success..
- hole 10, a pretty par 3 over water
- hole 18, a short nicely bunkered par 4, with the instantly recognisable clubhouse as a background (see pic top of page)
Mt Broughton Golf Club and Peppers Manor House are well located for any drives between Melbourne & Sydney, and Mt Broughton is a must play for any golf trips to The Southern Highlands
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf trip to suit your group.
For suggested destinations see Golf Destinations: The NSW Southern Highlands
For further information on a tailored golf trip please enquire here: