Located in Whistler, British Columbia, Nicklaus North Golf & Country Club is a 'signature design' by Jack Nicklaus.
The golf course at Nicklaus Nth is part of a housing estate and Country Club and opened for play in 1996.
The design is typical Nicklaus with strategic bunkering and green complexes largely linear in formation...
Each hole is framed by fir trees and many feature the odd water hazard or two...
The setting is gorgeous.
The glacial Green Lake and the snow capped mountain backdrop are a heady mix.
At times the course touches the high end housing development and while it is very tasteful, it does hijack the serenity of the surroundings just a tad..
I didn't find the course easy- there are so many ways to come undone!
There are risk/reward decisions to be made on every hole, which is fine, but there are times also where you have no option but to take on the longish carries over hazards.
The par 3 twelfth hole is one such hole and at 225 yards off the tips it is a brute!
The 226 yard par 3 seventeenth is even harder, but does offer options for those keen to stay dry and play for bogey.
Notable holes include:
- hole 1, a par 5 with water in play off the tee and a tight landing area. Welcome to Nicklaus North!
- hole 3, a testing par 5
- hole 7, a short par 4 dominated by acres of bunkering and a mountain backdrop
- hole 10, a pretty par 3 over water (see pic top of page)
- hole 12, another par 3 with a long water carry to a crowned green- pretty, but pretty tough!
- hole 16, a strong par 4 finishing hole with water short of the green
- hole 17, a long par 3- a beautful brute of a hole with a green projecting out into Green Lake
- hole 18, a strong par 4, the closing hole is also the hardest on the course!
Nicklaus Nth is a quality course in a spectacular setting.
Combine golf here with local courses at Big Sky, Chateau Whistler and Whistler GC and you have a very fine golf trip
The Travelling Golfer can tailor a golf tour to Canada to suit your group.
For information on suggested trips see Golf Destinations: Canada
For further information please enquire here: